Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Jumping Fox and The House Wife


I am a bit tired right now, but in a good way.
I spent a good chunk of time and energy shoveling snow this morning.
I haven't shoveled snow yet this year because the Mr. always gets to it first.
I kind of like shoveling snow though, it is a great work out especially because we have to shovel a "racetrack" for the dogs.
Then I had a lot of cleaning to do with Miss Poesy's play area and I had to go out and feed the birds, make sure the stove is stoked and remember to eat lunch.
I also have been working on things in between chores,
a little crochet here a little felting there, as well as some computer time too...
I am a bit of an obsessive multi-tasker.

Anyway, I am settling down to work on more things at this time and as I was checking my tumblr I found this quote which I quite like:

…What a traditional woman did that made her home warm and alive was not dusting and laundry…Her real secret was that she identified herself with her home…her affection was in the soft sofa cushions, clean linens, and good meals; her memory in well-stocked storeroom cabinets and the pantry; her intelligence in the order and healthfulness of her home; her good humor in its light and air. She lived her life not only through her own body but through the house as an extension of her body; part of her relation to those she loved was embodied in the physical medium of the home she made.
Cheryl Mendelson’s Home Comforts, Chapter One

I think it is a noble profession to be a house keeper (or house wife).
It is a job that requires skill and grace and organization and planning.
And it is something to be proud of.
...
I hope you are all enjoying the afternoon,
I am in search of my snow shoes because I feel it might be a little too deep for just regular boots in the woods.
I love the snow!
Do you like the snow?

3 comments:

  1. We had a snowday today!!! 19 inches of snow ;) and we will be getting more snow tomorrow and Saturday! It's not that cold today, so sledding it is ;) I've always loved snow - it's beautiful and so much fun!! Miguelito also loves snow ;) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that description of a house wife! I definitely identify with it (even though I'm not a housewife) but mostly because I see our house as an extension of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete